Name: Alfio Cerami
Birth: September, 1974
February 20th, 2019
I was research associate at the IEP Paris, Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences Po,Centre d’études européennes, Paris (France). I was also a lecturer or visiting lecturer at the University of Erfurt (Germany), at Sciences Po Paris, at the Centre for German and European Studies of the State University of St. Petersburg (University of Bielefeld and DAAD financed centre) (Russia), at the Southern Methodist University (Paris Campus) and Assistant Professor at the American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy (AGSIRD). My work encompasses the fields of Comparative Politics, International Relations, International Political Economy, Political Sociology, European Studies, and Public Policy. My research concentrates on the ways in which political, economic, cultural and social transformations influence the process of democratization and consolidation of democratic institutions in the Member States of the European Union, as well as in transition and developing countries. A particular attention of my research activities is also given to geographic information system analysis (GIS), analytical sociology and to mechanisms of institutional change. My most recent publications include Permanent Emergency Welfare Regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Exclusive Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), Post-Communist Welfare Pathways. Theorizing Social Policy Transformations in Central and Eastern Europe (together with P. Vanhuysse, 2009, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan), Promoting Human Security: Ethical, Normative and Educational Frameworks in Western Europe (together with P. Burgess, et al., 2007, Paris: UNESCO) and Social Policy in Central and Eastern Europe. The Emergence of a New European Welfare Regime (2006, Berlin: LIT Verlag). I am also currently editing a major volume for the Policy Press (Bristol) entitled Migration and Welfare in the ‘New’ Europe. Social Protection and the Challenges of Integration (with Emma Carmel and Theo Papadopoulos, University of Bath, UK). My work has appeared in various international peer-reviewed journals, such as Politics & Policy, Social Policy & Administration, International Journal of Social Welfare, Journal of Human Security, Czech Sociological Review, Romanian Journal of Political Science and ESELY Hungarian Social Policy Review, Social Policies (Politiche Sociali), Journal of Income Distribution, etc, Revue Française de Science Politique, etc. See also Google Scholar page and ORCID profile.
- 2001 – 2005 Ph.D., University of Erfurt, Staatswissenschaftliche Fakultät, Sozialwissenschaften, Germany.
- 1999 – 2000 Master of Arts (MA) in European Studies, University of Bath (UK) and Humboldt Universität zu Berlin (Germany), Euromasters Programme.
- 1994 – 1998 Laurea in Sociologia, Univerisita’ “La Sapienza” di Roma, Faculty of Sociology, Italy.
- 01/06/2008 – 01/06/2011, Research Fellow (Research Associate), IEP Paris, Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences Po, Centre d’études européennes, 28 rue des Saints Pères, 75007 Paris, France.
- 17/01/2011 – 6/05/2011, Professor (Professeur/Lecturer), Seminar: International Relations. “The Construction of the European Union”, Southern Methodist University in Paris, Reid Hall, 4, Rue de Chevreuse, 75006 Paris, France.
- 1/12/2010-28/2/2011, Expert Evaluator, Evaluation FP7-Security Projects, Research Executive Agency (REA), European Commission, OV2, Place Rogier, 16, B-1210 – Saint-Josse-Ten-Noode, Belgium.,
- 1/9/2010-30/10/2010, International Consultant, Elaboration Social Protection Strategy. Field Research, UNICEF Office Nouakchott, Mauritania.
- 1/08/2009-28/2/2010, International Consultant, Study: The Political Economy to Reduce Child Poverty and Social Exclusion in the CEE-CIS Region, UNICEF CEECIS Regional Office, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 01/01/2009-31/05/2009, Assistant Professor, European Studies, Political Science, International Relations, American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy, 101 boulevard Raspail, 75006 Paris, France.
- 01/01/2009-15/5/2009, Professor (Professeur/Lecturer), Economics of Developing Countries, International Political Economy, Human Rights, Schiller International University, Paris Campus, 9 rue Yvart, 75015 Paris, France.
- 01/10/2006 – 13/07/2007, Research Assistant, Assistant Masters in European Studies (EUROMASTERS PROGRAMME), IEP Paris, Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences Po, Centre d’études européennes, 28 rue des Saints Pères, 75007 Paris, France.
- 01/09/2005 – 31/08/2006, Post-Doc Research Fellow, IEP Paris, Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Sciences Po,Centre d’études européennes, 28 rue des Saints Pères, 75007 Paris, France.
- Italian native
- English fluent
- German fluent
- French good
- Spanish good
- Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis
- Macro-Micro Econometrics
- Comparative Politics
- Oil and Gas
- Political Sociology
- International Political Economy
- Development Economics
- Comparative Social Policy
- Democratization Theories
- European Studies
- Human and Socio-Economic Security