10 January 2018
- Cerami, Alfio, Complexity Theory, Democratic Transition and Public Policy Choices in Iraq (October 23, 2017). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3057205
21 December 2015
My new blog post:
‘The New Politics of War against Terror in France’. wp.me/p6Tsc5-2E
15 December 2015
My new blog posts:
1) Oil Revolution and the Modernization of Multiple Modernities. http://wp.me/p6Tsc5-25 via @wordpressdotcom
24 October 2015
Alfio Cerami New Home Page
The old homepage http://www.policy-evaluation.org/cerami will soon not be available!
Old address: email@example.com will soon not be available.
New email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
3 June 2015
My new article: ‘Cerami, A. (2015), Social Protection and The Politics of Anger in the Middle East and North Africa, Social Policies (Politiche Sociali), 1, pp. 115-135.’ is out. To access full document click here
22 September 2014
My new blog at Euro Crisis in the Press blog
- Cerami, A. (2014), ‘Socio-Economic Security, Transnational Solidarity and the Legitimation Crisis of the European Union’, Euro Crisis in the Press blog, LSE, 22 September. Available on-line at: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/eurocrisispress/2014/09/22/socio-economic-security-transnational-solidarity-and-the-legitimation-crisis-of-the-european-union/
12 September 2014
- Cerami, A. (2014), ‘Coordinating Europe’s social policies: not there yet’, Blogactiv, 12 September 2014. Available on-line at http://guests.blogactiv.eu/2014/09/11/coordinating-social-policy-across-europe-not-there-yet/
28 November 2013
Here’s my new SSRN paper ‘Social Protection and the Politics of Anger in the Middle East and North Africa‘. Click here.
22 October 2013
A review in Foreign Affairs of my book ‘Permanent Emergency Welfare Regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Exclusive Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy‘ (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan). Click here.
24 April 2013
Cerami, A. (2013) ‘Development Institutions: Adopt a Holistic Approach‘, The Guardian Global Professionals Development Network, 23 April 2013. Available on-line at:http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development-professionals-network/2013/apr/23/development-economics-social-protection?CMP=twt_gu
22 March 2013
Cerami, A. (2013), Permanent Emergency Welfare Regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Exclusive Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
10 January 2013
Cerami, A. and Wague, A. (2013), ‘Africa’, in Greve, B.(ed), The Routledge Handbook of the Welfare State, London: Routledge.
27 December 2011
Cerami, A. and Stubbs, P. (2011), Post-communist Welfare Capitalisms: Bringing Institutions and Political Agency Back In, EIZ Working Papers EIZ-WP-1103, Zagreb: EIZG.
3 September 2011
My article on Ageing and the Politics of Pension Reforms in Central Europe, South-Eastern Europe and the Baltic States has been published today in International Journal of Social Welfare., vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 331-343.
9 June 2011
My article ‘Social Mechanisms in the Establishment of the European Economic and Monetary Union’ is finally out! http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1747-1346.2011.00294.x/abstract
5 May 2011
Cerami, A. (2011). Book Review: Frye, Timothy (2010), Building States and Markets after Communism. The Perils of Polarized Democracy, New York: Cambridge University Press. Revue Française de Science Politique.
5 April 2011
26 March 2011
New article: “Social Mechanisms in the Establishment of the European Economic and Monetary Union” forthcoming in Politics & Policy, vol. 39, no. 3, June.
28 January 2011
NEW PUBLICATION: Carmel, E., Cerami, A. and Papadopoulos, T. (eds) (2011), Migration and Welfare in the New Europe. Social Protection and the Challenges of Integration, Bristol: Policy Press. Intro available here.
22 October 2010
29 September 2010
I have been invited by France 24 to a TV round table on the political, economic and social consequences of the current economic crisis (Program The Debate: Europe Strikes: Is Austerity the Answer?). Watch the video Part 1 and Part 2 .
For an interesting discussion on ‘austerity’, see also Mark Blyth ‘Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea’, Brown University New Media Initiative (forthcoming book Oxford University Press).
5 August 2010
28 June 2010
Article “Ageing and the Politics of Pension Reforms in Central Europe, South-Eastern Europe and the Baltic States” published today in the “Early View” section of International Journal of Social Welfare (Early View available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2397.2010.00748.x/abstract).
29 May 2010
New chapter published Cerami, A. (2010), ‘Happiness and Socio-Economic Transformations in the Russian Federation’, in Greve, B. (ed), Happiness and Social Policy in Europe, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham.
6 May 2010
5 May 2010
New article accepted in the International Journal of Social Welfare. Title: “Ageing and the Politics of Pension Reforms in Central Europe, South-Eastern Europe and the Baltic States” (forthcoming).
26 March 2010
I have been invited by France 24 to a TV interview on foreign relations between Moldova, Romania and the European Union (Program FOCUS: Moldova & Romania: a united future?). Watch the video
12 February 2010
Call for Abstracts: 8th ESPAnet Conference 2010. STREAM: Post-Socialist Welfare Systems. Deadline for abstract submission: 29 March 2010.
4 February 2010
I have been invited by the UNICEF CEE-CIS Regional Office in Geneva to held a presentation on “The Political Economy to Reduce Child Poverty in the CEE-CIS Region”. The results of the study (together with Dr. Paul Stubbs) will be published in the following months.
21 December 2009
I have been invited by France 24 to a TV interview on the twentieth anniversary of the trial of Nicolae Ceaucescu and the ‘stolen revolution’ in Romania.
18 December 2009
I have been invited to give a guest lecture on ‘the impact of the global financial crisis in post-communist countries’ at an international workshop organized by the German Marshall Fund of the United States (Paris Office). The primary objective of this meeting (‘Divided Europe: 20 Years After Lessons for Tomorrow’) is to discuss current trends and challenges in the CEE region.
17 December 2009
- Cerami, A. (forthcoming). Human Security in the Russian Federation. Journal of Human Security, Summer 2010.
- Cerami, A. (2009). Socio-Economic Transformations in Post-Communist Countries: Central and Eastern Europe and Russia Compared. Romanian Journal of Political Science, vol. 9. no. 1.
9 November 2009. 20th Anniversary of the FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL
- Cerami, A. and Vanhuysse, P. (eds) (2009). Post-Communist Welfare Pathways: Theorizing Social Policy Transformations in Central and Eastern Europe. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
8 October 2009
New Working Paper
- Cerami, A. (2009), Social Mechanisms in the Establishment of the European Economic and Monetary Union, Cahier européen n° 03/2009 Paris: Centre d’études européennes, Sciences Po.
14 September 2009
New forthcoming chapter available
- Cerami, A. (2010 fc), ‘Happiness and Socio-Economic Transformations in the Russian Federation’, in Greve, B. (ed), Happiness and Social Policy in Europe, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham.
15 August 2009
New forthcoming chapter available
- Cerami, A. (2010 fc), ‘Permanent Emergency Welfare Regimes and Human Development in West Sub-Saharan Africa’, in Harrison, L. P. (ed.), Social Policy: Challenges, Developments and Implications, Nova Science Publishers: New York.
22 June 2009
I am also editing a major volume for the Policy Press entitled ‘Migration and Welfare in the ‘New’ Europe. Social Protection and Integration Challenges’ (with Emma Carmel and Theo Papadopoulos, University of Bath, UK). This book aims to provide a thorough grounding in the comparative analysis of the interaction of migration, migration policies and social protection in the enlarged European Union. It provides both theoretical reflections on this interaction, and empirical analysis of how this interaction is played out in the European Union and in particular welfare states. Leading experts in the field cover a broad spectrum of country and policy areas. The book is expected for publication in November 2010.
10 March 2009
New article published
- Cerami, A. (2009), Változó Közép-Európa: a jólét és a szociális segélyezés kialakuló modellyei [Central Europe in Transition: Emerging Models of Welfare and Social Assistance], Hungarian Social Policy Review ESELY, no. 1, 28-50.
31 January 2009
I participated in a UNICEF Expert Consultation in Geneva (Switzerland) on January 29-30, 2009. The primary objective of this meeting was to identify efficient ways of reducing child poverty in the CEE/CIS region. See UNICEF website. For more information on my research activities on this topic, see also:
- Cerami, A. (2008). New Social Risks in Central and Eastern Europe: The Need for a New Empowering Politics of the Welfare State. Czech Sociological Review, vol. 44, no.6, 1089-1110.
- Cerami, A. (2009). Welfare State Developments in the Russian Federation: Oil-Led Social Policy and the ‘Russian Miracle’. Social Policy & Administration, Vol. 43, no. 2, 105-120.